Friday, 8 January 2010

Food glorious food......


Well, I am gobsmacked. I was having a look over the MSE website and happen to come across a section on grocery shopping. Members set themselves a challenge - either by month or year, on what they will spend on grocery shopping....I can't believe that a family of 5 can spend as little as £250 a month!!! What am I doing wrong then as I come in around £650 a month (and we don't smoke!!)

I seriously have got to spend more time on that site so I can see the error of my ways as I am throwing money away at this rate. They also have lots of lovely recipes that even I could follow!

I am no Nigella in the kitchen but that's no excuse. As my DH's Dad used to say to him when he was young "There are going to be some changes in this house" and I'm not kidding either.

Rant over......Sue x

8 comments:

  1. Let me know if you manage to save any money and please share your tips!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do Tracey, don't you worry! Hope you are feeling a bit better now hun. S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. God I spend nearly that a week ! what with cat & dog food - the hen food goes a long way . We try to cut back as we are broke !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try and come in at around £450 initially as I don't want to be too ambitious. The trouble is I am really picky with food shopping - can't buy cheap meat or fatty meat, I just couldn't eat it!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me some tips too please!! I can spend a fortune food shopping! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sue,

    Thank you very much for the link (I've reciprocated!)

    I'm always a bit wary of people who say they spend £50 a week at the supermarket - are they including toiletries, pet food, booze etc.?

    We're a family of six and, through necessity, we've got the food budget down to €150 a week - this includes everything, even the animals' food. But I don't think we could eat well at that amount without growing some of our own vegetables and animals...

    Eating good food is one of the best things in life, I wouldn't get up in the morning for a day of rubbish food!

    (Sorry! I've blathered on, but this is one of my pet subjects..!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I have to say I have just had the same conversation with my DH. Although, I do feel that I waste money on food, as often it gets thrown away. I just need to be better organised and plan my meals for the week..oh and not be tempted by all the offers at the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think we are all on the same wave length here £250 a month!! I would be even more hungry! lol

    ReplyDelete