Sunday, 7 February 2010

A sad day in the Smiff household...


Our hamster Pepper has passed away.  I knew it was coming a few weeks a go as all of a sudden he became very old, bless him.  He is in a better place now.   The rest of the house have gone swimming, so I will have to tell them the bad news when they return.  DH will not be too happy as he will need to dig a deep hole in the garden and the ground is solid.

I feel all morbid now, as this brings back memories of when I lost my Mum 5 years ago.  So I have put Michael Jackson on, turned the volume up and will get the hoover out to help me work through this.  How sad am I!

I had a migraine Friday evening till last night and I am hoping my current mood doesn't bring it back.

Hope your weekend is going well.

Sue x

9 comments:

  1. I remember the tears when my daughter's hamsters died!
    One gets so attached to these little creatures!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...sorry about pepper! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have a little row of hamster graves - before they went in I made sure I gave them a last stroke ( which wasn't nice on their stiff little bods )

    I'm not sure I'll cope so well when the bigger animals go

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments. Yes Penny, this is the 3rd hamster for us. And like you we always say goodbye to them, I think it's important for the kids to understand about death too. I laid him out for the kids to say their farewells before we buried him. I know it's daft but there you are. We lost a cat a fews years back and that was hard. We had her cremated and still have her ashes in a little wooded casket - she gets moved around the house every now and then. We just can't bring ourselves to scatter ashes. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue! With the dicey weather and no power, I'm just now able to catch up on "blogging" and have read your posts. I'm so sorry about Pepper!! Having had hamsters as a kid, when they passed, my Mom did the same thing that you did--It really helped me as a child to understand it all...Don't ever feel "daft" about it, as you have shown, it's an important lesson for kids to learn!

    I'm also sorry to hear about what happened on Thursday with the tar...I hope this week will be a better one!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaw bless you

    I hope everyones feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your little friend. That gave me such a memory of my daughter and her pets.

    ReplyDelete