Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Still here..just about

Well, I'm still feeling yucky with this 'whatever it is' which has now decided to sit on my chest and aggravate my asthma..so because of this I had to cancel my Zumba class this evening as I didn't fancy exiting gym by ambulance. I'm sure I've not helped the situation by going into work each day but we're short staffed and my line manager is off with a tummy bug and we've got more interviews happening tomorrow for new teachers to start in September.


So, anyhow...I've been thinking. One of my colleagues at work is out on a second date tonight with a girl he was introduced to by a friend. The first date could have gone better as she was a bit shy but he's taking her out tonight to a golf range so they can hit a few balls and have some good conversation.

My how things have changed.

Back in my days (the early to mid 80's) it would have been the cinema...it would have been the Granada as it was a very old badly lit building and you'd have been on the back row...there would be very little talking and you'd probably not see much of the film...if any of it! A meal afterwards would have been in the Wimpy bar.....burger and chips freshly cooked and on a china plate....that was style and there would have been the Thompson Twins playing on the radio in the background....those were the days!

I'm lucky, as I met my hubby when I was 16..he was just 15 and still at school. I worked in the local newsagents and used to sell him his Eagle comic and he'd spend the rest of his pocket money on bazooka bubble gums and pink foam shrimps and play on the arcade games machine like Frogger and Space Invaders. I knew then that he was the one. He didn't though, that was the problem.

2 years it took me to woo him, 2 long bloody years! In which time I got myself in such a state over the fact that he didn't respond to my advances, stalked him most nights, started smoking and became anorexic thinking I must be too fat...which, of course I wasn't. By the time he started to realise he would be on to a good thing with me, I'd moved on to a lad called Mark. I think this was the kick up the backside my hubby needed as he begged me to go out with him and poor Mark lost out. On April 1st (yes, I know!) we've been together for 26 years.

Another of my work colleagues is going through a marriage break up, she's in her late 30's with 3 young children. I really don't envy her one bit and would not like to be starting over again....thank god for internet dating I say as all the Wimpy's have gone from round our way and at least you wouldn't have to sit at a bar and make small talk all night would you!

Hope your week is going well.

Sue x

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about starting all over again - it would be a nightmare. I think I'd just become a nun lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my husband when I was 15 and he was 17. Me and my friends used to go to this local nightclub on a Friday night and thats where I met him. In May we will have been together 17 years and I've never been more happier.

    Hope your feeling better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue

    You have a great sense of humour and I've had a good laugh at many of your posts:) Hope you are feeling much better, spring is on the way.

    I started over again after being with my ex 22 years (married for 20). I was so blessed to find Mr Right who I met at the end of 1996 we celebrate our 11th Wedding Anniversary this year.

    Congrats on 26 years♥♥♥ Pearl Wedding Anniversary is just around the corner.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how funny selling him his comic & sweets ! How lovely. I was too painfully shy at that age to have a boyfriend - maybe hitting golfballs would have helped !
    A very good friend devastated at the mo ...hubby had affair & has behaved terribly towards her so they've sadly split. She'll be 50 in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! We still have a wimpy, I haven't been for years but it was always better than McDonalds! I hope you feel better soon.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to sit in the Wimpy and make a plate of chips last for hours!! - do you remember the large squeezy tomato sauce bottles?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes diney, I sure do. So much better then those little sachets they give nowadays! S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just tagged you for an award over at mine x

    ReplyDelete