They say that the ones with the least give the most don't they. This has been proven true today. At work we had a non-uniform day for Children in Need. We asked the children to bring in a silver coin in exchange for not wearing their school uniform. Most of our families are on a low income, many are single parent households and over a third of the total children in our school are on free school meals. Money is tight in most households, especially leading up to Christmas. Even so we managed to collect £170 for the charity today. How amazing is that!
The children are starting to get excited now, Christmas will be knocking on our doors before we know it. My son's birthday is on Boxing Day too! This year I've been very lazy and opted to buy many presents on-line. As we both work during the day, I'm lucky enough to have my Dad living locally so I arrange to get my parcels delivered to him! Dad is on his own now and gets very lonely. You know, he loves having all the deliveries turning up at his door as he gets to speak to someone. Some of the drivers he's on first name terms with and they stand and talk for ages with him. Bless him.
Only 4 weeks left at work till we break up, where has the time gone. It seems as if the older you get the fast the year goes doesn't it. Although the children disagree - they say it drags!
Have a lovely weekend.
Sue x x x x

That's wonderful to hear. Children love a non uniform day don't they !
ReplyDeleteOne of our postie delivery men has the same sir name as our dog's name - Dillon - and he carries doggy snax in his pocket !
I am not a lover of children in need sue.....
ReplyDeletepersonally I think it should be aged in need!!!
nice to catch up withyour blog
jx
Hi ya John, yes I agree they do seem to get over looked don't they.
ReplyDeleteNo uniform day sounds good, but... I believe uniforms are best thing for the needy children, that way their lack of fashion jeans etc doesn't stick out so much. I remember having to wash my uniform shirt every night and my jumper every other night, but I looked just like everybody else!
ReplyDeleteThe toys for tots thing needs to be better monitored, I believe the various organizations should hand each other their lists of needy children. I know of more kids getting way too much stiff because their Mother was just faster at signing up her kids and they get from them all! It is ridiculous!
Now, what John mentioned, too many old people are forgotten, some people think they are really doing something by going caroling for an hour at the nursing home!
Oh, my, sorry, that soap box just kind of slipped under my feet without my noticing!