Thursday, 4 February 2010

I'm not going to cry...honest!


I am really touched...thank you so much to Magic Mummy from The Diary of a Frugal Family for this lovely award, it really is sweet of her to think of me.

I didn't get the chance to tell you about the little accident that happened at our house last Sunday. DH had purchased a roll of flashing tape to repair the roof over my DD's bedroom window. (It's like parcel tape but much thicker and very sticky with a thick coating of tar on the top side.) Well, without thinking, DH placed the tape on the shelf over the radiator in the hall. It sat there for a week.


On Sunday DS & DD were having an argument over a bouncy ball when DS lost his rag and picked up the roll of tape and proceeded to throw it at DD. Well, you can imagine..as the tape had been kept nice and warm for a week the tar had become quite runny and seperated from the tape. As the tape was flying through the air...so was black tar. It ended up being up the walls, on the rug, on the carpet in the hall and carried on to the through lounge. Now, DD nearly pooped himself when he saw the tar everywhere and decided the best place for him to be was in his bedroom...as we would not be best pleased with his actions. Unfortunatly, he was not really looking where he was going as he ran up the stairs and trod in a large dollop of tar and basically took it up the stairs and in to his bedroom.

At this time, DH and I were outside cleaning out the trash can on wheels (otherwise known as my car). We heard the commotion and dashed back inside....at this stage not realising what was on the floor.

That very morning I decided to wear my brand spanking new Rebook trainers. I was very impressed with them as to be honest I usually buy cheap trainers but decided to treat myself.

So, as I was saying.....we had not realised what was on the floor and walked straight in to several dollops of tar before we realised what had happened.

It was everywhere. I could have cried. I think I did!. DH nearly lost the plot.

The irony of it all was I managed to get the tar out of the 20 year old wool carpet that we plan to replace in the next few months by using washing powder. It was not so easy to get it out of the carpet we had purchased in the last couple of years. We had to use white spirit which has helped to take some of it out but made the carpet patchy.

DH could see I was gutted about my trainers and spent Monday morning removing the tar from the tread with a cocktail stick.

Incase anyone is wondering...yes the kids are still alive.....only just.

Sue x

7 comments:

  1. I don't know how I would have coped with this one! I'm bad enough when someone spills a drink!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, it reminds me of the time maxi got hold of a perm marker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - My - God !

    I guess you put it down to experience ...
    or something !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear! What a nightmare...so typical- it is sod's law these things happen to brand new trainers!! :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. nightmare!! well done on your award xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids! ... ;0)

    Congratulations on your award!

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete