Tuesday, 25 May 2010

One step forward, two steps back...

A couple of months ago we looked at our finances to see what we could do to release more money each month from our wages.  We did a lot of shuffling around and managed to secure enough for our part of the yearly caravan site fees/rates/insurance etc that's due in November.  Now, this money has been in my bank account for around a month, sitting there very nicely, minding its own business with not a care in the world.

We decided that although we have enough in the bank to pay for the caravan we would still keep saving the money each month as we had been so perhaps (just perhaps) we might we able to have a holiday abroad next year....OMG!

So, as you do, I've been looking in all the holiday brochures to see what takes my fancy and in my mind I even packed the suitcases...at least 5 times each!

Last night hubby just about makes it home from work before his car conks out on him, luckily at the top of our road...phew.

His car is an old run-around that he's had for 4 years.  It's an N reg Mondeo and drinks like a fish.  Each MOT it always cost's around £300 to get it to pass......but better the devil you know (his words not mine).  Bearing in mind it cost £300 to buy back in '06.

We've had a mechanic have a quick look over it and there were many tuts and sighs and we reckon it could cost around £400 to get it better if not more......until it's next MOT in October when it will probably be another 300 smackeroos to get it to pass.

Now, a family friend, who is a mechanic, is selling his car as he recently lost his licence.  So hubby is in a quandary now. 

We are going to see the car tonight.. It's a dark green BMW, 316i compact.  Similar to the one I had many years ago (which I never wanted to sell in the first place).  It's in perfect condition (would be wouldn't it). I think I know what's going to happen...........

Bye, bye savings.  Bye, bye holiday abroad next year!

In case you're wondering, hubby is still suffering. It's beyond a joke now.  I got some real funny looks off the neighbours the other day as I was emptying bags of frozen peas into the wheelie bin. Hopefully our week away next week will help him to put this sorry saga behind us.

Hope your week is going well.

Sue x

7 comments:

  1. Boo hiss to cars! Mine needed 4 new tyres....let's not go there.....

    Fingers crossed for the lottery win then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wonder how my car knows that we have extra money in our bank account and manages to take it all from us!! I hope it all gets sorted out and maybe you can still take a vacation too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHould he really be in that much pain? Sorry about the car

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no I hate that kind of thing. There's always something that crops up isn't there?! I got really excited because my week in hospital meant I hadn't spent any money and I was looking forward to coming out and treating myself...and then I got my phone bill. Seems that keeping everyone informed I was still alive has cost me more than I'd saved. Grrrr...

    Hope he's feeling better soon - does he just need to man up or is there something wrong?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments, especially those of concern. Now I am no doctor, but I have been telling him not to keep the wound covered up, as it needs air to help it dry up so it can heal. But would he listen to me - NO. Thankfully the doc has backed me up today and hopefully it will now be sorted. Men, they just don't listed do they! And we yes as I thought, it was love at first sight and we are collecting his new car this evening! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well, mayabe you can get a last minute deal on a holiday sometime and save a fortune.

    No wonder he's still suffering if he's kept it covered up. They just don't believe what we say to them sometimes do they? MEN!!

    Hope he's going to feel better soon.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Sue, they are there own worst enemy aren't they!.

    ReplyDelete