We had a scary time on Monday night. My daughter woke us up around 2 a.m. to alert us that my son was struggling to breath because he was having an asthma attack. He couldn't even talk. He'd woken up feeling wheezy but couldn't find his inhaler as it had dropped on the floor. Bless, him he didn't want to wake us so he thought he could calmly breathe through the attack. It didn't work and he panicked as he couldn't get his breath. Luckily, that night his sister decided to sleep in his room, so he was able to alert her. I honestly thought we were going to have to take him to hospital as we struggled to control it with his puffers but we managed to in the end but it was very scary as you feel so helpless.
I think it didn't help that we'd been away for a week and his bedroom door had been shut to keep the cat out.
So yesterday, as a precaution, I went on a shopping spree to Dunelm (bedding and home ware store) to buy him new anti allergy/dust mite pillows and duvet too. We also steam cleaned his bedroom - including carpet and curtains too. He was wheezy on and off throughout the day so we took things easy.
He had a good sleep last night and is in fact still asleep - bless him.
I've had asthma since I was 13. Started off with one chest infection after another from around the age of 9. But in the 70's they didn't diagnose it willy-nilly like they do nowadays (seems easier just to send you away with an inhaler), I had to have various visits to hospital and chest clinics as they thought it was more serious.
So today, we plan to go to the cinema (Don't you just love Orange Wednesday's lol). They've not decided what they are going to see yet but I suspect it will be Toy Story 3.
I have tons of ironing to do in readiness for our return trip to the van in 10 days time.
Take care
Sue x x x

Oh gosh that is incredibly scary. What good luck his sister was in there with him.
ReplyDeleteHope a trip to see Toy Story 3 makes him feel better!
Oh, that is scary! Do you have a nebulizer? Some nights, I wake up with the same thing. Having a nebby helps so much better when you can't breathe in the first place, it's hard to get the medicine in the puffer in.
ReplyDeleteSo lucky to be going back on more vacation!!! I'm sure you are going to have a great time, again!
Hello! I'm back from a mini-vacay and am catching up on your blog and agree, "how scary!!" I had asthma for many years and know how your son felt--I'm glad it turned out okay and you're in the right direction with bedding. I'm glad he's better and I hope you have an enjoyable day!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Sharon, no we don't have a nebulizer but we do have a volumatic spacer - this works well for him when he needs it. He has been on a nebby many times before but our GP says that if you use the spacer correctly it has the same effect as a nebulizer. Yes TG, I was thinking the very same thing, what luck.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back Kim, yes the bedding seems to have worked a treat for him...he even got a new Ben 10 duvet set too so he's a very happy chappy.
Due to traffic works on the way we missed the start of Toy Story 3 - but they had a preview showing of Cays & Dogs 2 which I just mananged to get them into. The boy thought it was great, DD said it was a 'Load of Sh*te'...her words not mine but she agreed it was his day so she sat through it for him lol
Sue x
seen many patients like your son and its very scary indeed!
ReplyDeletegood idea rebedding too!=x
So scarey for you all. We had similar when Joe was young - nearly hospitalised but the doc brought a nebuliser & he was able to breathe.
ReplyDeleteHe has virtually grown out of asthma now.
He & I went to see The A Team - great fun. I hope you enjoy Toy Story xx
Glad your son is better. Scary not to be able to breathe...
ReplyDelete