Monday, 14 February 2011

Dusting off the soapbox....

Happy Valentines Day to you all.  Hope you are all being spoilt today!  I've been very lucky and received a large bouquet of my favourite flowers - Stargazer Lillies, and the smell beautiful!

Now that the niceties are out of the way, I need to have a moan....BIG TIME.

As most of you know, I work in a school office with my 3 colleagues.  All of us are first aid trained for emergency first aid in a school.  Very basic stuff really, banged heads, cut fingers and nose bleeds...stuff like that really.  We don't actually have a 'Welfare lady' as such but we all cover the medical room.  Over the last few weeks we have had a nasty tummy bug go round the school - mostly sickness.  Last week one of our Y5 children came to us complaining of tummy pains and looked a bit pale.  He couldn't eat his lunch and felt clammy but didn't have a temperature.  He's not a usual visitor to the medical room, so we called Mum to come and collect him.  She came and reluctantly took him home.  He was back into school next day and again came to the medical room that afternoon, this time doubled over in pain and crying.  Again, we contacted Mum, who was not to impressed as she was at Tesco's shopping and had to arrange for the child's Grandad to collect him.

On Friday morning she came to the school office with her child in tow.  She told me that she was not impressed that he's been sent home twice this week and had taken him to the Doctors who confirmed that there was nothing wrong with him.  She also advised that she was going to keep him off school today as although he is perfectly well, it is a waste of time sending him in as WE KEEP SENDING HIM HOME.

Now, I explained that he had been clearly in discomfort earlier in the week but if she says there is nothing wrong with him then we will not send him home.  This mother is also a supply teacher (not at our school).  So, you'd think she'd know better.  The teacher kept sending her son to us, what are we supposed to do?  She then had the audacity to slag us off in the playground saying the school should have a  proper Welfare lady or nurse as we don't know what we are doing!  The cheek of it.

She is the sort of parent that if we didn't contact her when her little darlings were unwell - she'd still have a moan.

I know I shouldn't take it to heart but I can't help it.  I am so annoyed with her that I feel like challenging in the playground in the morning...although I know it would not be the right thing to do BUT I would feel a lot better!

Hazards of the job my boss says. 

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhh.

Have a good week.

Sue x x x

2 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day, although the sentiment will be a bit late. I got a large assorted cheesecake. (Like I needed that)

    Sorry about that mother. There could actually be something wrong, the child may be constipated and is not telling his mother, if it gets bad enough, it could be dangerous... That's kind of bothersome, that she doesn't seem to find the time to figure out if it's a physical problem or maybe even a bullying thing or worry about completing a project.

    Take care, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kid of aggesssion happened all the time to a friend who was a school secretary & had to make the dreaded phone calls to mum ! I can't understand this type of woman but I do know several !

    ReplyDelete