Thursday, 9 June 2011

What's on the box....

I don't watch a lot of TV now days.  Mainly because I don't have the time but also as I can't get near it due to the kids but as I was cooking dinner this evening, Becky was watching last nights episode of Waterloo Road.  For those of you not familiar with this programme it's a weekly drama about a secondary school in a run down town up north.  I have only let my daughter watch this in the last few weeks as I felt it was a bit too old for her with some of the story lines.  Basically I gave into the "Please Mum, all my friends watch it" line.  Well anyway, over the last few weeks the story has been around a young teen who has cancer and basically she couldn't be cured.  In this weeks show she took her last breath and boy was it sad.  So sad in fact that I was crying in to the pan of potatoes as I was mashing them...not a good look.

It's got me thinking, why oh why do they have to make such sad story lines.  I mean, you read the papers and it's doom and gloom, you watch the news and it's doom and gloom wouldn't it be nice to switch the box on to get away from it all?  I used to be an avid follower of the soaps before I had my children but because of all the sad and sometimes disturbing story lines I refuse to have them on in my house.  And lets be honest some of the shows are really far fetched and a bit hard to believe, so why are so many of us hooked on them???

It's been raining on and off throughout the week.  Funnily enough there always seems to be a downpour around 9am and 3.30pm...amazing that isn't it!.

Sue x x x

6 comments:

  1. I gave up on the soaps a long time ago. You can not watch for 6 months and tern it on and everybody is in the same situation.

    Yep, pretty tired of gloom and doom, myself, but can't stand "Barney" either, so I have a few special ones I watch or I just don't watch anything.

    We could use a few of your showers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up, my Mom refused to watch Little House on the Praire. She said it always made her cry. She was right! m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing "Catchup" with you. I soooo remember the times when I wouldn't let my two watch programmes that I felt were unsuitable (yet their friends apparently had parents who felt differently!). What a beautiful song that was on your earlier post......... So much stuff out there to discover...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother was discussing the gloom & doom of soaps with my niece years ago. My niece said, " It's real life Granny " umm, maybe not all at the same time in one street !
    I like the Aussie soaps as they are lighter than the British ones which like you, I don't watch. Joe likes Waterloo road. I watched it when it began then lost interest as it had turned into a soap not a series for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind comment today Sue.
    As for soaps, I don't watch anymore, they're all the same drivel! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sue....
    yes lets have some sunshine in the soaps like coronation street USED to be
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete