Saturday, 31 December 2011

Happy New Year.......

To be honest, I don't do New Year celebrations.  I don't even watch the TV to see all the firework displays as the New Year comes in around the world.  No, I find it a very depressing time and will probably shed a tear as I hear all the celebrations in our street as the clock strikes midnight. 

Before the children were born, we used to go out to a restaurant, or friends house and party but I was always checking my watch to see if it was time to go home yet.  I would mostly offer to drive that night so I knew we would be able to get home quickly, how sad am I?

The worst NY's eve for me was December 31st 1999 as we approached the 00's. Apart from all the worrying that the whole world was going to come to complete standstill and that planes would fall out of the sky (thankfully they got very wrong) and our computer would pack up working.... I had just miscarried our 2nd baby and felt as if our little world had come to an end.  Luckily, we went on to have Alex in Dec 2000 - exactly a year after we lost his sibling, and that year although I was upset I was also very thankful that our baby had arrived safely after a very worrying labour and delivery.

We have had a very long day today as we were up and out of the house by 06.45 this morning for a 300mile round trip to see Hubby's brother who is currently residing at a HMP in Worcestershire.  We only manage to see him 3 times a year as he is not allowed many visits and quite rightly his main visitors are his wife and their son and his 3 step sons.  My two adore their Uncle, after all he is their only Uncle.  He is serving a life sentence of 25 years, he has 7 years under his belt and we are hopeful that he will have his category downgraded next year which means he will be able to move to a prison nearer to home.  He asked me today if we had told the children the real reason why he was in prison.  I said no I hadn't but had told them he had stolen 2 cars instead.  I won't go into detail about why he is prison in my blog but I'm sure you can work out for yourself that he did something very serious to receive such punishment.  He said I should really tell them as they are old enough but I disagree.  They know he has done something wrong and he is being punished for his crime and that's all that needs to be said.  It worries me that they would maybe think less of him if they knew the truth.  They both love him dearly and think he's wonderful and at the moment I don't want that to change. 

On the way back we popped into the Bicester Outlet shopping centre, I mean it would have been rude not to as we drove past the entrance.  I was very good and only spent £15 in the Cath Kidston shop!  As a reward for keeping my money in my purse, Hubby treated us all to a lovely dinner this evening at our local Harvester! 

So, as you can imagine, we are all very tired and will shortly be off to bed.

I have a good feeling about next year, mainly because it's an even year and I don't do odd numbers!

Wishing you all a Happy and healthy New Year.

Sue x x

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very long day! Nice to eat out, rather than come in tired and have to fix something and it always tastes better when somebody cooks and cleans up!

    Here's hoping that everyone has a better year in 2012!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are all exhausted with all that driving about in one day.I find new years eve a bit depressing these days and in fact as soon as christmas day is over it all takes a downward turn for me.I feel much better when the days are longer and we have brighter evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hope you are ok. Sounds like that was a long journey.
    I think like you say the children know he has done something wrong & thats enough for them to know at this time. One day when they are older they may ask questions.
    Christmas can be a time of lots of sadness for families. Families eh! x x x take care

    ReplyDelete