Wednesday, 26 May 2010

It's all a load of rubbish....

Before wheelie bins, we all had just one small dustbin.  It was collected once a week.  Was rarely full.  A cheery binman would greet you with a 'good morning' as he came round the side of your house to collect the dustbin.  If you had extra bags he would take them without asking.  He knew your name and would always put the dustbin back to where he'd collected it and the front gate was always shut behind him.

My how things have changed.

We now have half of our front garden taken up with 3 humongous wheelie bins. 

Green for household waste
Blue for recycling
Brown for garden waste and food scraps

Blue and green get collected on alternate weeks, brown is collected every week.

If you don't put your bins outside on the street they will not come into your front garden to collect.  If you put them out too early you could get fined!

If the lid doesn't close properly then they will not collect at all, nor will they collect if you put the wrong type of waste in the wrong bin.  I had a fall out with one of our refuse collectors a few years back as an empty pringle tube ended up in the wrong bin and he wouldn't empty it.  I even made hubby chase after them with the bin to get them to empty it but no joy.  But they still have the cheek to knock for a bonus at Christmas.

Today as I was dragging the brown bin back to our house after finding it discarded in the street, it felt rather heavy.  I look inside to see why and I am greeted with about 6 inches deep of old food scraps....even the de-frosted peas have come back to haunt me! 

So I get a spade from the garden and carefully remove the contents (which I have to say was also full of hundreds of wriggling maggots).  Armed with a bottle of domestos and hot water I squirt in the bleach and pour in the hot water.  I don't know how I managed to do it but I must have had the bin a bit tilted as as soon as the water hit the base of the bin it shot back up the other side and smacked me in the face.

I was not a happy chappie I can tell you.  How I didn't vomit I do not know.

We have a man that will clean them for £3.50 each but up till now I've been too cheap to sign up for it.  After today, I might just give him a call.

Sue x

7 comments:

  1. We have the same thing here--They won't empty our recycling if its sorted wrong and not in the right color bin. The only thing I can think of is these guys aren't paid to think, do what they can to get out of doing their job and want something during the holidays in return, which by the way, I put in a bag that "Raymond" never seems to mind taking, even if it happens to be the same color he can't recongnize any other time of the year! ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim, that's funny. reassuring to know that it's not just the UK then! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bleurgh! Grossness.

    It makes me happy I live in a flat. They just never bothered to give us recycling bins for some reason. I oculd get one if I asked but why should I go to all the trouble?

    So for us it's just the normal black bin and we have 3 recycling bags in the flat which we put plastic, glass, tins and paper in and take down to the local recycling bank and empty in our own time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we haven't been issued with wheelie bins yet ... but have two diferent coloured bags which we run out of. The bin men simply will not take the recycling in the wrong bag even if we label it - they pile it with the refuse bags ...we often move it !

    Don't get me started on the postman - we are having severe postman issues !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't Penny as I know all too well what they are like....cos I'm married to one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love post men! LOL...Ours is so cheerful. We have different coloured bags too, They don't trust us country bumpkins with wheelie bins! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have smelly wheelie bins. What a job to clean out, I end up with loads of water and a sweeping brush, but they are just bulky things to try and sort out if you lack height. Our postie is an absolute treasure though......

    ReplyDelete