Well, I hope you all had a lovely weekend and looked after the 'Daddies' in your life on Sunday!
On Saturday, hubby was working and as my MIL was away for the weekend I was asked to pop in and see his Nan who lives in a local care home. She is a lovely lady but sadly due to dementia is loosing her marbles very quickly. She has the odd good day and mostly very bad weeks.
Becky had arranged to go out with her friend to the cinema, so it was just me and the boy. So after we had had our fill at good old Maccy D's - we made our way to see Nan....or Crazy Nanny as she's recently been re-named.
We get to the home and find her in one of the other ladies bedrooms looking very concerned. Apparently, one of the old dears has gone AWOL. Can't see how as it's like Fort Knox to get in the place. So, I reassure her that she 'll not have gone far and will soon return to her room.
So, we shuffle down the corridor to her room to have a chat. I open the door and it's like a sauna. She says she's been feeling cold, even though it's 22 degs outside and she's got a jumper and a cardigan on - bless her.
She tells me that she is not allowed to open the window in her bedroom more then about 3cm's anymore. I look outside and I can see lots of white tissue paper scattered on the green, and it's contained to a semi-circle around her window. I ask her why. She explains, that someone, has been putting soiled toilet paper out of their bedroom window and making a mess on the communal gardens. I look at her bedroom floor, I can see a stash of it behind her chair. She explains that the wind has been blowing it in. Yes, I say. Wind tends to do that. She's upset that she can no longer feed the birds on the bird table that sits outside her window. I can see remnants of toilet tissue on it, I'd say they are relieved.
She desperately wants to give my son something, anything. And is looking through her wardrobe in desperation to find something. She comes across a knotted blue long sock hidden in coat pocket. She undoes the knot and empties a load of jewellery on to her bed, mostly costume but there is one piece that is very ornate and I swear looks like it's made out of Indian Gold. I ask her where she got it from, she replies 'I found it here, it belongs to no one, so I'm keeping it'. With that she knots it back up and returns it to her coat pocket.
Next she goes over to her knicker and sock draw, still looking for something for my son. She trys to give him a pack of 5 white ladies M&S socks - 5 sizes too big for him, I reassure her that he's fine for socks but thanks anyway. Hidden in this draw are her new shoes. She tells me she has to keep them there as they are a thieving bunch of so and so's and you have to lock everything away. I admire the 2 newly acquired soft toys she has on her dresser - not new but new to her. She says she found them also. We leave her an hour later, happy in her own little world.
It's so sad to see her this way, she's 87 and a shadow of the woman she was just 18 months ago. If she'd have stayed in her home she would not be here now as she was forever falling over and very, very lonely.
Yesterday we went up to to London for the afternoon, it takes us just 15 mins or so to get to Euston by train. Hubby and the kids went on the London Eye but again I chickened out. I don't do height's and I'm afraid that I would panic being in the capsule and not be able to get out. Apparently, the views are amazing.
Afterwards we popped into the London Film Museum currently at County Hall and enjoyed a leisurely walk along the Thames. After a bite to eat we made our way home. We got back home just after 7pm and we were all knackered.
None of us wanted to get up this morning! Alex has a school trip to London Zoo tomorrow, and is very excited, even though he's been there more times then I can count!
Have a good week.
Sue x x

v difficult. You only hope those with dementia, wrapped up in their own world, are happy in their own way.
ReplyDeleteI plan to be very difficult and dress like Barbara Cartland! Gettin' the catalogues delivered any day now!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww re your hubby's Nan.
ReplyDeleteNow, re the London Eye. I am really scared of heights but someone bought me a ticket to go on it not knowing that. Trust me, it goes so very, very slowly, it is amazing. It doesn't rock and it very, very "manageable". I even managed to stand up at one point. Originally, I thought I would have to sit and grip the bench the whole way round.
MM, Yes I can see me doing the same thing lol. I will master it...one day! Just worried incase I panic and I can't get out until it stops! Sue x
ReplyDeleteLove the story about hubbys nan, bless her,have a good weekend.
ReplyDeleteHugs Pat
I hope this works....I haven't been able to read your blog for ages....the words just don't show up! xxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteOh Tracey, I wonder why....is it OK now hun?? And there's me thinking you were avoiding me lol S x
ReplyDeletehi, thanks for visiting my blog, you are entered in the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteerrhm, i didn't visit your blog today, must've, been Tracey from Tracey's scrapcrafts?
Anyway, nice to 'meet' you!
Sandie xx
my father in law had dementia and I know how awful it is to see - just hope they are in their own world all the time and don't realise who they have become. London Eye is fab but my hubby gets vertigo and he found it shook ever so slightly and he had to sit down and hang on...maybe he was being dramatic for attention!!
ReplyDelete