Saturday, 5 March 2011

You got a friend in me.......

I hold grudges......there I've said it.  I can't help it but I do.  Some I've held on to for over 20 years.  I guess that's just the way I'm made. 

I've become quite close to one of the Mums at school.  I've known her for over 5 years.  We help each other out when needed with taking the kids to school and collecting them.  My friend doesn't drive but I do, so I bring them home at night from school.  I've been doing this now on and off for a couple of years and almost every night for the last year.  Even if her hubby is home from work I would still bring them home. It means I am late to pick up my daughter from her school but It's ok she starts to walk home and we meet her half way.


Over the holidays I took my friend and our children out for the day to an indoor play centre.  I even brought her lunch.  I'm good like that. I'll always pick offers up for her from the supermarket if I know she uses them.
In the past they have even invited themselves to stay at our caravan with us for the odd weekend when we've been down there and have made noises about doing the same this year.

Now, you're probably thinking why am I telling you all this?

Well, her hubby is quiet a few years older then her and was offered the chance of early retirement.  He thought long and hard and decided he would take his companies offer.

He finished work just before half term.  A couple of weeks ago she decided to hold him a retirement party.  She told me of the venue they had chosen and the date they had hoped to hold it.  I spoke to my hubby to see if he could get the evening off work and pondered on ideas of what pressie to get him.

Then it all went quiet. 

So last week I asked her if she had booked it.  She said she had, she'd hired a small hall and was looking to do the food herself and was probably only going to do just some sandwiches.  I was just about to offer my services as I'm a dab hand at this sort of thing - even did the spread for the do after we got married all by myself.

Then she said, they'd been looking at numbers and adding up the relatives and his friends she is not going to be able to invite us as the hall only holds 50 people.  She hoped it would not be a problem and maybe we could get together in the summer and have a BBQ.

So, me being said yes, that's fine.

But actually it's not fine.  I'm really disappointed by this. I thought we'd gotten quite close over the last couple of years but it seems as if I was wrong.

So much so, that I have even made the decision  not to do a charity walk with her in the summer now.  It was a 9 mile midnight walk in aid of a local hospice.  They will not loose out as I will still sponsor her and my other friends who also do the walk.

I know I must sound all bitter and twisted but I am really feeling quite 'used' now.

I know a similar thing happened with her and another friend of hers who used to drive her everywhere and the relationship kind of cooled all of a sudden.

So, the party was last night.  I'm sure they had a lovely time and am expecting a call/text soon from her to tell me all about it.  I consider myself a loyal friend to my close friends and I would really give them the shirt of my back if they needed it.  But I'm beginning to feel that it's all one sided now.

Have a lovely weekend.

Sue x x x

6 comments:

  1. Hello Sue!! I would have also been hurt if I had been you. It's unfortunate (and a bit sad) that some people take friends like you for granted and don't realize the 'value' of someone like you who has been so kind, caring and thoughtful as you have been by including her in so much of your life and going out of your way to help her--If I had been her, I would have had you and your husband at the top of my list! I hope she realizes what a devoted and good friend she may be losing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much ditto, what Kim said. I do hope you don't plan on putting yourself out for her anymore. I think it was pretty rotten - maybe she is one of those that can only handle one friend at a time and she has found a new friend. I believe she has a lesson to learn, not that you have to teach her - but things have a way of evening out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very honest of you to say so
    a good blog..... been there and worn the t shirt........I hate being let down by a friend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you only get out what you put in and if she is not putting in get rid of her she obviously does not appreciate you or what you do for her.let her see what she is missing out on,its her own fault oh and yes l hold grudges to if l am hurt by other people when l sure l have not done any thing wrong,stay strong you do not need friends like, this find one who appreciates you back.


    Have a good week hugs Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite right too. Naughty her!

    I've had similar experiences. Move on, be nice, but cool. Life's too short for nonsense.
    Chin up sweetie..

    (Chins up in my case!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear...what a thoughtless lady. Have you tried telling her how you feel? Maybe she'd be mortified to realise she'd upset you. I think this is what you need to do - she needs to know and learn, otherwise she never will and she'll do it again. If she is a good friend she'll take what you say on board. If she isn't, then you'll know not to waste time with her as much. It is shame when people let you down -and they do - I have had lots of experience with this - but it is important to communicate and tell her. xxx

    ReplyDelete